Thursday, November 12, 2009

No small roles, only small actors? Yeah, if you're a midget.




SMALL ROLES STILL ALLOW FOR HUMOR, REVENGE
(The Alligator/Erik Voss)

I'm beginning to feel almost creepy considering how often I wind up commenting on my own improv mentor's columns but I've got to say -- Erik really knows how to serve up humor in the strangest and most relatable packages. Here he addresses the innate desire to impress those we despise if only for the cheapest form of validation (in this case, his elementary school drama teacher). I know I've been there; those demeaning school plays that pit toddler divas against one another as if Miss Smith the drama teacher with a BA in English was a legitimate Broadway producer. Alas, poor Erik (I knew him well?) and myself were often confined to small roles (him for his unfortunate phallic object and me for just being a forgettable sort of girl). His desire to ruin the ambiance of the play with one apathetic "hooray" really does hit home to that inner desire to adhere to "if I can't have it, nobody can" mentality.Sure, it's wrong -- but is it funny coming from a third grader? Heck yes.

Good show, little vengeful Erik. Take a bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment