Friday, September 11, 2009

Another year, another thought




A FORTRESS CITY THAT DIDN'T COME TO BE
(The New York Times)

Gorgeous narrative. That's my first thought when I read through the article. Yes, it's like many other 9/11 recollections (though the coverage of the day after was particularly striking) but, nevertheless, there is rarely an event in which such narration can be explored, especially in the United States. We're not particularly used to attacks on our own territory -- we're the stronghold, are we not? Alas, there comes a time when even we as one of the strongest nations in the world put our strength on hold as we take the time to heal from a tragedy of this magnitude. And, on the eighth anniversary of these events, I can only take this opportunity to reflect back upon my  own experiences. I was but a lowly fifth grader -- scared, lost and confused. My parents surprisingly did not pull me out of school, as they kept me blissfully unaware of the events unfolding. However, unbeknown to them, I was staying tuned in to MSNBC all throughout the day on my classroom's television (even as a wee child, I was news hungry). I began to worry: I had family in New York, what has become of them? Will the bad men attack Florida? As these inquiries clouded my thoughts, I came to slowly learn what had happened, though I do not think I could fully appreciate them 'til much later. I lost a dear friend to my mother's family, a devoted New York City fireman who never again came out of the wreckage of the towers. I take this day to remember him, to remember every gorgeous narrative I've heard and will hear in the future. On this day eight years ago...

where were you?


Link to story at nytimes.com:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/11/nyregion/11dayafter.html?_r=1&hp

Photo credit: Johnathaneric on flickr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment