Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Oh, golly gee! The circus is in town!"




TRIP TO DOCTOR TRIGGERS ERECTION, HUMILIATION
(The Alligator/Erik Voss)

So I was pretty pumped when I realized my improv teacher was not only one cool dude, but also had my dream position on The Alligator as resident humor columnist. I eagerly awaited his next column in The Avenue when I learned his position. As I skimmed the pages, the headline immediately caught my attention for...er, obvious reasons. See, when someone becomes your mentor in a sense, they take on an almost superhuman persona. Despite the fact he's only three years my senior, he's still someone I look up to. And well, apparently "up" is something Erik knows a lot about. Being in the world of comedy on a daily basis, nothing is off limits -- pretty much all you wind up talking about during routine conversation involves sex, erections, laughing about them ,and what you could do with them in a scene. But this was legitimate. This wasn't hypothetical arousal, this actually happened. Erik also did a fantastic job capturing the mindset of his 13-year-old self with hilarious metaphors. ("If you combine a loose cannon dangling between my legs with a sexy professional making six figures a year, the only response to such a request [to remove pants for an examination] is: 'Fire in the hole!'" is brilliant. Just brilliant.) So here I am, sitting, laughing hysterically, unable to get the notion of pubescent Erik Voss' sexual awkwardness out of my head. Should I feel bashful? Amused? Forget about it? High five him at rehearsal? I chose the latter and it was a cool move on my part. I still look up to him probably more than I should, but that human quality remains.

Lesson learned: Even gods get boners.


Link to story at alligator.org
http://www.alligator.org/the_avenue/columns/article_2acf0bf2-3d0d-5e18-b146-18d35db475cd.html

No comments:

Post a Comment